Some thoughts on Nagorno-Karabakh and the social media.



I don't actually want to talk about whats going on right now. But I guess, I have to. 

This war...what can I say. I am very worried. 

Wars suck. People die...nasty shit happens- on both sides. 

What pisses me off the most at the moment though is that nobody seems to be able to keep a balanced view on what is happening. It seems to be impossible. To be honest, even for me is difficult. And I have always tried to be pro-peace. I have had Armenian people visiting my blog, I met journalists and bloggers who tried to work together in a hope to build a dialogue...a peaceful future. But now I see all of them  posting such utter bollocks online, that I realize...things are serious this time.

This media war is pathetic. Both sides are being pathetic with their propaganda. Truly. "Look! " Armenians write..."Azeris acting like animals! They are attacking our churches! ISIS style!!" 

Azeris in the meantime posting photos of the mosque used for pigs and cows. 

The sad thing is nobody reading our posts, except for us. And the "other" side, who gets even more infuriated by all that hateful propaganda. 



Everyone is biased. Absolutely everyone. Every expat living or ever lived in Baku is on our side. Every expat  who ever lived in Armenia is posting nasty shit against Azerbaijan. 

But, overall, in reality....nobody actually cares. Nobody

Armenians are learning it the hard way right now. It is obvious that they are shocked and offended that neither Russia nor America showed any interest in their fight. They are reminding the Western Christian world the they are Hello??? Christians!! This is not a war of just Nagorniy Karabakh, they say, is the war with islamic terrorism!!! Nice try, by the way.  They are plastering the words jihadists and ethnic cleansing all over social media. But guess what. America has its' own shit to sort out right now. And as for Russia..well, we all know Russia. They of course don't care either. Because, when it comes to serious politics, religion does not matter as much as money and oil, does it. 

Who started this war? Who cares? Who shot the first bullet this time? Who fives a fuck. Azeris are fighting to get their land back. Whats so difficult to understand. Armenians believe is their home, and won't give it up. They also are probably afraid of the ethnic cleansing in Karabakh. Not so difficult to understand either. Why this conflict is so complicated is also pretty easy to understand. 

What annoys me is the pathetic- yes, pathetic!- attempt to blame all of it on the other side and portrait yourself as the innocent and, as my old friend would call it "white and fluffy". Nobody here is particularly white or fluffy, guys. Is a war. They bombed Ganja. We bombed Stepanakert. Why is everyone so surprised? Do you know what happens at war? People get killed. Casualties happen. Churches might get destroyed. 

And, I am not an expert in politics, far from it, as you all know...But I wouldn't be surprised if what is happening is the big players, such as Turkey and Russia, having their own agenda, probably already agreed long time ago how far they would allow this to go on, how many lives would be sacrificed on both sides, until they step in and tell us OK, enough, halas as we say here in Doha. Stop fighting, children. Now, now. You have a few villages and you take a few, and calm down. 

The best thing we all could do is not post stupid propaganda trying to paint the other side as a monster. And stop sharing images of burning churches and crying children. 

Because: 

a) Nobody cares. The only people who read your propaganda is your own people. Azeris and Armenians. 

b.) We are at war. Nasty shit happens. And oh, nobody else cares. Except for us. 

c) Nobody cares. If anyone who is not Armenian or Azeri does care, it is only because they are somehow connected to either of those countries, or they happen to live there. Both sides have supporters based on that fact alone, nothing else. No "truth", no facts, nothing else matters here. And yes, religion. I mean, if you are a Christian somewhere in, I don't know...Minnesota, you probably could believe that Azeris are some scary jihadists, who want to kill all Armenians, and help recreate Ottoman Empire. Why not. If they don't know us, it would be easy to believe. 

And finally....

Nobody cares!  I cannot repeat it enough. 

You know how many western friends, other than those who lived in Baku, "liked" any of my articles about what is going on in Karabakh on Facebook? Or even read them? None. ZERO. You know how many friends asked me about Karabakh situation? Maybe three. 

This is our war, this is our land, our homes, our people. I am Azeri and of course!! I think we have been treated unfairly for years. Of course I think Armenians are taking the piss. I am particularly pissed off about their efforts to turn this into a religious war, and portray Azerbaijan with jihadist paint. And of course I think is our land and should be given back. But I also understand that if I were Armenian, I would think differently. I get that. Why is is so difficult for others to get? 

In the meantime, people are dying. Economies are getting fucked. Oh, and in case you have forgotten...Covid is still here. So yeah, nice one, 2020. Thanks very much.








Comments

  1. War sucks, that for sure.
    As soon as I read this news, I thought of you and your family and loved ones, especially the ones still in Azerbaijan.
    What a year are we witnessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shut up. All the world know that this war is not belong to religion war. This is your laying hostory which you trying to show yourself as innosent. We know who you are. And all the near countries knows that what a fuckibg country you are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts